Friday, August 17, 2012

Strange Aeons: The Stars are Right

Agent Connery cannot believe his tragically poor choice of parking spots.
 I won an auction for a Horrorclix Cthulhu for like US$40. Not bad. It's dinged but I intended on modding and repainting it anyway. Why? I want to somehow use him in Strange Aeons. Call him a half-awake Godling or what have you. maybe a special multiplayer game? I have pages of notes on the possibilities (taps temple with finger).

If you know this figure, you know 2 things:
  1. It's heavy. Like, kill burglers with it heavy or chock parked semi's heavy.
  2. Cthulhu's back leg is half submerged in the "ocean" on its base. Rip off!
So, that is the project. Get him off his base, add a full-sized back leg and then rebased. Not totally sure how I'm doing it yet since I'm hesitant on cutting his full sized leg, it adds probably all of the stability to the figure. I'm thinking I'll cast that full leg and use it with new sculpted details (like flipped dewclaw and thigh musculature) to complete it. As mentioned, weight is a big concern so I may try and cast the whole leg still attached to the figure. I even considered buying another figure and cutting the good leg off for the other. My kids like food so that's probably not going to happen. If anybody spots a broken Cthulhu for around US$15 bucks, let me know.  Stay tuned and share any ideas below.

3 comments:

styx said...

I would leave the back leg alone and just model it into the ocean or something. Keep it simple.

Just about bought him but opted not to and must have went to you. I just didn't have the cash to spare to buy him. He was the guy with the broken wing on LAF right?

Yeti's Yell said...

Styx: yes sir, the very guy. I saw another, unbroken one posted up on Ebay, I think for about the same price.

=+=SuperflyTNT=+= said...

Reaper has just announced a new Cthulhu 8" mini and some Mythos figures in their Bones line. I picked them up in the Kickstarter campaign (well, they'll ship in May 2013) but they look brilliant.